Sample Image

      Monty was born in Vetale, S. Dakota on Oct. 11, 1931 to George I. Hines and Frances (Barto) Hines.  At the time, Monty had three older brothers, Loy, Maurice, and Boyd. The youngest brother Bob was born in 1940.

     Monty attended a one-room school, Grinden School and carried his lunch in a Karo syrup tin and really walked two miles to school each day.  Monty loved going to school but all four of his brother did not like school.  Monty attended Grinden School for five years.  

     On Dec. 7, 1941 Japan bombed Pearl Harbor.  The next year Monty’s family moved to Gordon, Nebraska.  In that same year the family pulled up stakes and moved to Los Angeles, California.  George, Monty’s dad, went to work in a shipyard and his mother; Frances went to work in an airplane factory. 

     In 1946, the family pulled up stakes again and moved to Brentwood, located in the Boston Mountains of Arkansas.  Monty and two brothers upgraded somewhat in Arkansas by attending a two-room school rather then a one-room school. 

     In 1948 once again, the family was on the move and located in Lamar, MO.  Monty worked at Irwin’s IGA Grocery store on the West Side of the square during his senior year, graduating from the old Lamar High School in 1949. 

In 2008, Monty purchased the Irwin family home on Truman Street.  While cleaning up the house, he found a ledger that was used at the Irwin Grocery store to keep track of the hour’s employee worked and what they were paid by the hour at the IGA Grocery store.  Monty worked about 20 hours a week for $20 per week.

      In 1952, Monty joined the Air Force.  He took six weeks of basic training in Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonia, Texas. After basic training, he spent one year in Curlew, Washington and worked as a Radio Operator with on the job training.  Next, he flew to San Francisco, California to be processed for overseas. This was during the Korean Conflict. He sailed from San Francisco to Tokyo.  From Tokyo he went to Kyushu, the Southern island of Japan.  While here, he worked in Teletype and Cryptogram (send coded messages).  After a two year tour of duty in Japan, Airman 3rd Class Hines flew back to San Francisco. In route, he landed on

the island of Okinawa and Hawaii. After returning to the U.S., he spent the remaining tour of duty on Keesler Air Force Base, Biloxi, MI. 

     Monty was discharged in 1956.  He returned to Lamar, MO and was employed by the Finley Engineer Company.  Monty began his career by doing Field Work and some office work and was paid $1.00 per hour.   In 1960, Monty became a Resident Engineer of a telephone construction in Welch, Big Cabin, Blue Jacket, Oklahoma.

      He stayed in Vinita, Oklahoma at the Texaco Motel while supervising the telephone construction.  Ed and Ethel Smith owned the Motel.  They were the grandparents of his future wife, Linda Wholf.  Linda was working at Do Creasmen Contractor in Vinita on her summer break from going to college at OSU, Stillwater, Oklahoma.  After working all day, Monty would come back to his motel clean up, go out to eat and then come back to the home of the Smiths to play cards.  Mrs. Smith felt she knew Monty very well.  He didn’t go out at night or drink.  So she felt he would be worthy of meeting Linda Wholf, her granddaughter.   Monty proposed to Linda Wholf and they were married August 12, 1962.

       Monty began collecting depression glass, carnival glass, and old oak furniture during the 1960’s.  In 1995, he sold his collection of 5000 pieces at a large sale in Carthage Memorial Hall at Carthage, Missouri.  Monty's other interests included birds, trees, flowers, travel, television, and the politics.  He was interested in the political players and what they do to and for our government.  He loved to express his opinion and write about current affairs.  Monty attended church at the First Christian Church in Lamar along with his family.

         His wife Linda survives Monty. Also surviving are his two children, Kenda who lives with her parents, and Ken Hines and wife Karen of Lamar.  Monty was also blessed to have one grandson, Ben, age ten.

      Monty Hines left this world on August 8, 2013.  Leaving behind a legacy of love, laughter, and many "Points to Ponder".

      Funeral Service will be 2:00 pm Sunday, August 11, 2013 at Lamar First Christian Church with Rob Wilson officiating.  Burial will follow at Lake Cemetery with Full Military Honors.

      The family will receive friends from 1:00 pm until service time on Sunday at the church.


     Contributions are suggested to First Christian Church Benevolence Fund in care of Daniel Funeral Home.


#3 Lamar, MOKayla Leavell 2013-08-12 10:50
I'm so sorry. Prayers for you and your family from Drew and I.
#2 LamarKristy Runion 2013-08-10 11:36
So sad to hear of Monty's passing. He was a great man, husband, father, and grandfather. My thoughts and prayers are with you Linda, Kenda, Ken, Karen, Ben and the rest of the family.
#1 lamar,missouririchard ryan 2013-08-09 07:40
Sorry to read of Monty`s passing. Always enjoyed reading his Points To Ponder in the Lamar,Democrat.

Submit Guest Book Comment

Security code